Wednesday, June 04, 2008

Happy Hump Day!

Today marks the downside of the week and that alone makes it a happy hump day! Someone picked me as a fav on Blotanical! Thanks Wickedgardener!

Unfortunately The Garden looks like crap right now. The stroms have made an ugly mess, scattering limbs and sticks all over the place. I resolved not to mow the grass for 2 whole weeks as I'm giving the grass roots an opportunity to grow deeper. Luckily, tomorrow marks the end of the 2 week period. It has almost killed me to not mow. So today when I get home, I will clean everything up in preparation for one of my favorive gardening tasks, mowing!

I think I have finally decided where to plant the Allamanda Bush. I was so confused as to where to put it b/c the tag says it's a bush but the planting instructions describe it as a climbing vine. It doesn't look like a vine at all, it looks just like a bush! So after further research, I learn that it is indeed a bush and does not require a trellis. I'm pretty sure I'm gonna plant it right smack dab in the middle of the front yard. It will look very nice there and get plenty of sun.

Photobucket


I've decided where to start with a semi shade area that is in desperate need of plants. I'm gonna put fountain grass in the back. That's as far as I've gotten. Maybe knock-out roses in front of that and then maybe various lantanas. I can't wait to get started!
Uh-oh. I resolved to not buy anymore plants, didn't I? What if I got them at a really good deal? I don't have any of these items that I can propagate from. Well, I do have some lantanas but I just planted them, can you even propagate from lantana? This may not turn out well...stay tuned.

Oh, I forgot to mention something. I think my corn plants are in for. They grew fast, got about 4 feet tall and then started tasseling out. They haven't gotten any bigger in weeks and the tassels are turning brown, doesn't that generally mean that the corn is ready to be harvested? The corns are small, I don't think they should be ready yet. My B-I-L told me that I should have side dressed them with nitrogen a while back. Lesson learned. I guess I'll go ahead and see if anything is worth keeping and pull it all up. Wonder what I should plant in it's place???

2 comments:

Lets Plant said...

I have never grown corn so I don't have any suggestions for you. Wish I could help, but Happy Hump Day to you too!!

Barbee' said...

Sorry about the corn disappointing you. I bet he was correct about the fertilizer.

Well, I have read your whole blog then came back up here to leave another comment.

Darling family you have. Those are very nice portraits of everyone.

I enjoyed reading your resolutions posted in your sidebar: hurray, for you!

I have never had any luck growing Foxgloves, for some reason. I think I have it in my head that they can take a lot of shade, when maybe they need more sun. I wonder if your get much sun. Oh, well, I will try again sometime.

Enjoyed my visit. Now, back to Blotanical.

Wordle: SEW

My Other Hobby

Photobucket



Photobucket



Photobucket



Photobucket



Photobucket