Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Hurricane Fay

Photobucket
Well, Fay is headed our way and is projected to pass through Jacksonville tomorrow. School has been cancelled for shelter preparations and most City Offices are closed.
Sigh...
Wish my office was closed right now.
Are we really ready for a hurricane? MMM, no. Someone stole our generator a while back so we don't have that. I have lots of candles but prolly not enough if we lost power for more than a week (which isn't out of the question). Our stove is electric so if we do loose power, we won't be able to cook. Sure we could cook on the grill or open flame but what is there to burn, everything around here is wet! We only have one bathtub to fill with water, we can't fill our washing machine cuz it's one of those front loaders. I do have several milk jugs and wine bottles filled with water so that's a plus. We've got a decent supply of canned goods, bread and snacks. Oh and we do have a manual can opener, which is a must!
The things that scare me the most are tornadoes and huge tree limbs coming through our roof and hitting somone. I mean, you can get away from the glass windows but you can't really get away from the ceiling! You know, home builders in tornado prone areas should build safe rooms inside houses. I wonder how come there are so few people in florida who have cellars? I wish we had a cellar, we could always have it stocked just in case and I wouldn't have to worry about something coming through the roof.
On a possitive note, at least I have plenty of crafty things to do if we do loose power and if my BFF comes over to wait out the storm, I can teach her and her daughter how to crochet!!!

Until next time...

3 comments:

Wicked Gardener said...

Think positively - at least you don't have to go to work! Both me and my husband have to go. BTW, Florida doesn't have cellars because of the (low/high?) water line and the aquifer. They would be constantly flooding. Now what I can't figure out is why don't have real attics. . .

KatBouska said...

Scary!! I would totally build a cellar...it should be a requirement in hurricane prone areas.

Stay safe!!

Sinfonian said...

Best of luck to you and your family!

And actually, you could make an underground room with a high water table. It's just a really expensive bath tub.

Wordle: SEW

My Other Hobby

Photobucket



Photobucket



Photobucket



Photobucket



Photobucket