Monday, July 14, 2008

Bad Gardener!

I was too embarrassed to post the condition of my garden of late. I know it's shameful but I think I just got lazy. With all the rain we've been getting, the weeds have just completely taken over! I thought about taking a before and after shot of everything but decided against it, it was really that terrible. I did get a lot done in The Garden, thankfully. However, my body is not thankful. Gardening really is A LOT of work! Ok so I got almost all of the weeding done in the traditional plot and I harvested more carrots from it. I pulled out all of the corn that I completely failed at, which was all of it! I harvested a bunch of basil (I just love the smell of basil!) and attempted to transplant quite a bit of it, don't know if it'll work or not though, we'll see. Then I had Hubby, (whom I'm now effectionately calling "Sparky", remember National Lampoon's Vacation?) build me another SFG in the area I grow tomatoes in. I can't afford to fill it up with nice "clean" soil right now so I've hoed up a few little rows of the existing soil, haven't decided exactly what I want to plant yet. I might do another tomato plant and some more green beans, or maybe spinach? I did all that on Saturday then on Sunday, I did what I thought would be best for the watermellon/cantaloupe patch. I messed up from the start by planting too many and too close together. Needless to say, I had vines going every where, mixed in with the massive amounts of weeds of course! Then I discovered that there were some sort of larva eating my baby mellons...already!!!!!! That was it! Right then and there I decided that I had to take control of this very disturbing situation. So in the hopes of greater good, I dove in and sacrificed 3 of each plant so now I only have 1 watermelon and 1 cantaloupe plant. By the time I got the other plants separated from the keepers, (which was like untangling a big ball of yarn) and all the weeds pulled, the keepers began looking a little wilted. Loosing the fight against the bugs, I opted to spinkle a little sevin dust on top of the soil before laying the vines back down. I haven't used sevin dust since I learned that it kills bees. But in this case, I thought if I put it on the ground instead of on the plants flowers, maybe the bees will be okay. I have one watermelon that is about the size of a mature cantaloupe and I'd relly like to eat is in a few weeks as opposed to the bugs eating it! My squash is getting hit by the bugs too so I removed any leaves that had what looked like bug eggs on the under sides of the leaves and then I sprayed the rest of the plants with a mix of veggie oil, dish washing liquid and water. Hopfully that'll keep the nasty little worms away. Again, gardening is A LOT of work. Have I mentioned how bad my legs and gluteus maximus hurt? I walk like an elderly person!
I also managed to bake some bread and spinach artichoke dip. It was soooo good. Dang! I shoulda took a picture. Oh well.
My 10 month old niece Daylin spent the night Friday night. She's getting so big. She was born almost 3 months early so it's taking her a little bit longer to do the big girl things but she's getting there. Here are a few pics...I tell you what, I have the cutest nieces in the world!!!

Photobucket Photobucket

Finally took a few shots of my perpetual orchid, this thing has been in bloom for weeks now!
Photobucket Photobucket

Now I'm a butterfly mommy! This little jewel was hanging out while her wings dried right after being hatched! She's a Gulf Fritillary, aint she pretty?
Photobucket

2 comments:

Dana said...

First, I doubt your garden is as bad as you make it out to be!

Second, you DO have cute nieces!

Third, orchids rock.

Fourth, thanks for taking the time to visit my blog, leave comments and be so nice. I'm glad that we have crossed paths . . . I'll be reading your blog too!

spookydragonfly said...

I'm new to Blotanical - just browsing - enjoyed your blog - beautiful quilting - your niece is too cute! Love your orchid! I like the close-ups>

Wordle: SEW

My Other Hobby

Photobucket



Photobucket



Photobucket



Photobucket



Photobucket