Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Productive Long Weekend

Man did I work like a dog this past weekend! First, DH and I teamed up and tackled the long dreaded job of cleaning up the junk wood pile in the back yard. The really good thing about that task is that I ended up with quite a bit of usable lumber to use however my heart desires! I can make several more SFG's, I can make flower boxes, I can border my existing ground planting areas. I can do all kinds of stuff! I also found a Bee Hotel, already made, all I had to do was stick it in the ground! Hubby doesn't think it will work though, he thinks it will only attract dirt-dobbers and such, we'll see... I read about this little Bee Hotel in a great book I found titled Trowel and Error by Sharon Lovejoy. It's filled with over 700 tips for gardening. Anyway, it mentions a way to attract bees into your garden with a Bee Hotel. I haven't really noticed any bees in The Garden, which worries me a little b/c I need the bees to pollinate my cucumbers, right? Well, I hope my find works.
Second, we trimmed up the trees that line the fences in the back yard. That wasn't fun, we have a lot of those thorney vines and sticks that really hurt when you accidentally grab them. We made a huge mess that took way longer to clean up than it did to make. Hubby also started tearing down the water/termite damaged screened in porch. We plan to rebuild it... someday... when our money tree starts blooming. :0) We also moved pavers from the back yard to The Garden and Hubby used them to make me a little sitting area, he's the best! Next we will move some brick pavers from the back yard into The Garden for my walkway that will lead from the house to the sitting, I'm starting to see a path in the grass!
Third, I mowed the front yard, transplanted Fox Gloves (I hope they make it) and transplanted Lantanas. I also transplanted a beautiful vine that I found at WM. I had never seen this plant before and had to have it! It's a Blue Passion or Passiflora. I wanted to take a picture of it but I waited too long and now it isn't feeling so good since the transplant. It looked better yesterday when I got home, it even had a bloom but I could tell that it still isn't completely recovered yet. I think it will be much better over the next few days. Here's a link until I get to snap my own pic. http://www.digitalflowerpictures.com/images/x128/Blue%20Passion%20flower%20web.jpg It's the most unusual flower I have ever seen, it's like 3 different flowers stacked on top of eachother to make one flower. I'm really glad I found it! I also picked up an Allamanda, I thought it was a bush but later realized that it's another vine. I think I have one more piece of lattice that I can use as a trellis. Now, where to put it???
After all this clean up and creating and beautifying was done, Hubby decided to have Son blow off the roof and clean the gutters. Guess what happened...yep, leaves, dirt, acorns all over the place! Should have put a little more thought into that plan!
Until next time...

1 comment:

flmom said...

I love that Blue Passion flower ... stunning!

I will have to hunt for that book at my library. I definitely need to attract bees to our yard. Our watermelons were a no go this time around due to no pollination. The squash, zucchini, and cucumbers I had to all hand pollinate before I wound up losing them to pickleworms in the end.

Wordle: SEW

My Other Hobby

Photobucket



Photobucket



Photobucket



Photobucket



Photobucket